Wednesday, May 20, 2009

working for a living

I think I'll record my work day-

I tried to get here pre 8:45 as I had to take minutes at a meeting at 9 and didn't want to be too rushed. Didn't work, got here at 8:47, early enough to get an extra 15 min for lunch. Proceeded to meeting with proper equipment and handouts. No one needed the extra handouts - everyone remembered to bring their agendas (small miracle). Also had 1 no show who said he was coming - typical. This is a fairly big deal as it's a mayoral meeting. Had no new loan applicants to review but the meeting took 2 hrs 15 min anyway - those folks like to talk. Done with meeting, work piles up while I'm gone. I say to my co-worker so diplomatically "I didn't put it on my calendar - did you remember I'm taking an hour lunch?" She nods. About 10 min later she asks me, "so, you're taking an hour lunch today, right?" yes. She only asked once - we usually go through this 3-4 times in one morning. Sigh. Meet friend for lunch at fairly swanky downtown restaurant, but she has to go home and pack and drive to airport this aft. so all I'm thinking is "eat, you fool, and get your butt on the road." So conversation was not great. My task-oriented mind. I get back from lunch for a discussion with co-workers on what did you have, was it good, do you like to go there, etc. etc. Sunny nice day so leisurely work on paperwork this aft. A boss comes out and asks "how many drug tests did you schedule?" due to lack of communication one organization thinks they are getting 300 kids from us and they are only getting 64. Person in charge is out of office until Tuesday. Some scrabling goes on, but I am a lowly admin clerk so there is only so much I can do, or need to do :)

And now it is 5 pm.

1 comment:

  1. I do not miss meetings at work, but still have to go to them at church. Go figure!

    I have an award for you on my blog! Go get it!

    ReplyDelete