Wednesday, April 22, 2009

New Post! must keep writing-

Class #4 come and gone. We talked about Paul and the New Perspective last week, and I am trying to work it out in my own understanding, as I think they are on to something. Basically it says Paul's cultural background was not the same as Luther's, Luther read too much of his own life and experience into what Paul was saying. Paul did not feel the pressure to please God that Luther did - he was successful in keeping Torah. But the righteousness that comes through Christ is real, and offers a relationship with God that was unavailable through the rabbinical laws. Culturally this takes pressure off of the Jews, all of the implications of which I can't recall.

Last week we continued with Galatians. I'm trying to get the exegetical method down so it is more of a natural process, but so far it hasn't happened. Should spend a lot more time in the Bible - it is all reworking in me.

Had first lawn mow of the season. We are a bit anxious since we lost our yard worker. Spring is a good time to work the lawn but all free time is taken up with this class. I am feeling the need to be f -o -c -u -s -e -d. Have my priorities, narrow down my interests, and not be distracted by what isn't important.

Anyway, back to the lawn. When I lived in Europe, even the forests seemed well maintained. They have had so many centuries of civilization to beat back nature into a well-behaved status. Actually their society is beat back in much of the same way, much to my mild chagrin. In Europe, or Belgium, if you stood out it wasn't good. I enjoy unique people and being unique from time to time. It's not like they are afraid to speak their mind - they are not. But your behavior is expected to fall within the norm. I guess that's how their society survives - not only looking but being neat and orderly.

Like I should talk. As I get older I discovered I was raised to have certain manners and expectations that are more European than American. And more power to me, so I think. I don't appreciate the general American disregard for putting oneself first, by disregarding the feelings or interests of those around you in public or in a group.

But back to the lawn. So in our backyard here in America we continually have to beat nature back, just in our 2 measly acres. It definitely has a mind and plan that does not concur with ours.

That's all for today.

2 comments:

  1. I find myself to be distracted by so many things; right now I'm not doing a very good job in my church committee because I'm more interesting in blogging, etc.! And of course, the girls distract me for most of the day!

    It's interesting that in Belgium, standing out is frowned upon. I would tend to think the opposite, since it seems like Europe is more liberal than many people in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say liberalism isn't frowned upon, but individualism. You can be all for euthanasia but don't grow grass on your car and drive it around town. that's just weird. does that make sense.

    I need to get focused and go to bed at the moment...

    ReplyDelete