Thursday, April 30, 2009

no spoken words, just a scream

My playlist is not very multifaceted. If you can't figure it out I enjoy U2. I'm listening to Pride right now. There is something about their music that just pushes you forward. And the pushing you feel isn't into something dark and sinister but hopeful, positive.

I like artists that are going somewhere - have something to say and are passionate about it. Art, music, or literature. It gets the audience to take some kind of position - can't just float along. C.S. Lewis makes a comment in Surprised by Joy, while he is on the road to Christ, like "the Christians are wrong, but the rest are all boring." Can you say the same thing about Christian musicians? What is wrong with this picture?

Have you ever heard U2 do a cover song? They're really not very good at it. I take that to mean - musically they are somewhere around average. Bono is definitely an average singer. But their original stuff just grabs at me. Is it all Brian Eno? You know, he helped out Paul Simon but it didn't have the same effect- not that I don't like Paul Simon. It sounded more atmospheric and landscapey, but it was Paul Simon's soul, not U2's.

So it isn't their musicality or their, what, producer? It's gotta be their heart. You can't pretend, or imitate that. Bono's a big personality, but I don't think it's all him. Who they are just comes across in their music. Is it Jesus in them that makes them able to give me hope, desire, want to push forward myself? Lord, may I be such a person.

Check out The Way I Am by Jennifer Knapp

5 comments:

  1. I love U2, but I don't think I even have one of their CDs. I'll have look into that!

    I did put one of their videos on my blog:
    http://lemondroppie.blogspot.com/2009/03/lemons.html

    About comments, I didn't subscribe to your comments by email, but I will now so I'll get them. I just read them on your blog.

    My comments are funky. I use commentluv.com and JS-kits. I had to install them separately, so they are not part of Blogger. A lot of bloggers don't like JS-Kit, so they just stick to Blogger comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bono is definitely a force!

    Thoughtful blog...lots to think about.

    Are you blasting the music while mowing the lawn or are you wearing headphones? ;)

    xo Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Kirsten- so nice to get them!

    No, I go au natural when I mow-

    do you have a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Au Natural"...in nature... :)

    I sure do...working on a post or two about Genesis (ironically since you posted about music) however, mine is mostly my history with the band ... you know, we're so close...ha!

    My blog is hidden, though, so I'll send you an invitation. It'll be from "picturingme" just so you know...it'll be nice to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christa - I wanted to suggest getting a best of U2 cd - it'd probably satisfy all of your U2 needs-

    I'm getting the hang of this stuff....

    ReplyDelete